A friend (Sophie) came to visit this week before a research stint in France for the summer, so I had a travelling buddy this week! Sophie wanted to see some Germany, so we did day trips to Cologne, Maastricht (ok, this is Netherlands. But it’s close.) and Düsseldorf.
Highlights of the week with Sophie:
- Not having to cook. Huge bonus. No dishes. (Sophie graciously paid for several meals. Thanks Sophster!)
- For the love of chocolate. I am totally ok with her obsession with chocolate.
- Sophie bringing me an adorable Muggle badge, a super-cool keychain, and a bag of half-eaten Skittles, which she did not realize one could find in Europe.
- Getting cultured. Girl loves her art, and holy crap we saw a lot of it. I feel like at this point I might actually be able to recognize some of these painter guys.
- Taking a tour in DUTCH of some really cool caves and actually being able to understand a reasonable portion of it! It’s like super weird dialect-y German!
- On that note, being a useful German (and a little bit Dutch) translator was really fun! It is very empowering that I can communicate effectively and help somebody else to be understood.
- Going into multiple Catholic cathedrals, including treasuries thereof (that means relics, my friends…dead Catholic bones in fancy gold bejeweled containers), when neither of us are remotely Catholic… we had to look up what all this crazy stuff was.
- Park and garden exploration! I love green things.
- Walking around with Sophie, the most curly-haired person in all of Germany! We stood out like whoa!